Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

home alone and feeling at home

Bjarni had a meeting at Oxford University and left for UK over the weekend, and so it was the first time for the rest of us to be home alone in Cambridge. I know many expats are in work situations that require a lot of traveling, but I always find staying back a bit stressful, especially the first few times in a new place and even more so with a little one, who all kinds of things can happen to (yeah, my imagination never fails...). I know it's not much different than if we were two, and I know that most likely nothing is going to happen, but nevertheless I need to know exactly what to do or who to contact in case it's needed: If I lock myself out, if Silja hurts herself and needs to be checked, or if one of us needs to see a doctor after opening hours -- those kinds of situations. Having tried it before I know that I can relax with it if I make a list with all sorts of practical information and phone numbers, which I can pull out in case I need it. And luckily I didn't. However over those couple of days I realized that I've started to feel more and more at home right here. We kept running into people that we now know; at the  playground, on the streets, and in the library, and having this sort of familiarity with people, is so great. So much so that I don't think I'm interested in leaving this neighborhood, to start all over again, when we move to another apartment in September.
Now Bjarni is back. Back to play hide and seek with Silja, who runs to hide by covering her eyes. Although I can totally manage Cambridge and Boston alone, it's very good to have him back!
Oversæt til dansk

No comments:

Post a Comment