Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

settling into new routines

While Bjarni is busy with a new job, the rest of us are also settling into new routines. Back in Vienna Silja was in day care, where her best little friends were Sophia and Jorli. When not with us, she was hanging out with the same nine kids every day, and she was well taken care of by Sandra, Brigitta and Marianne. I was working on my studies, and meeting fellow study mates for lunch or coffees dates in between classes or in the end the thesis writing.
Now we getting used to very cosy but also quite different routines. Together. We are rarely in a rush in the morning. We sometimes head to cafes for coffee/milk and to split a bagel with cream cheese, and we scout around for fun activities in the area, where we can play and talk to other kids and parents. So far we have joined sing alongs (and I'm getting the hang of American kids' songs: And Bingo was his name-o, shake your sillies out...), and toddler play groups for the Harvard community. There are so much available for a duo like us, so it's just a matter of finding what fits our mood and schedule, and getting the consistency of routines as well as the people we meet.
At least until my work permit is sorted out, we will continue like this. Right now I feel very confused about what I want to do after. I don't even have an overview of what is in fact possible (I'm working on it, but it takes time). I have to admit though that having the time to do what I do now, feels like such a luxury and if I'm able to balance it out with some time that nurtures my professional interests, well then I might as well grab the chance, and enjoy hanging out with my kid and watch her grow and develop, because I know it will be a time-limited thing.
Anyway, all this comes with lots of thoughts and considerations that needs more time to settle, but perhaps I'm able to share more later on? Till I'll know more I'm doing my best to enjoy the toasted cream cheese bagels, the library singing and my happy little sidekick.
Oversæt til dansk

1 comment: